If you are like me and want to explore the spicy side of mixed drinks I suggest you begin by following tested recipes. By doing this you will learn how jalapenos, habaneros, and hot sauces react when mixed. Also, you will notice that many of these recipes pair the spicy element with sweeter mixers that put out a bit of the fire. Fruits like mango, grapefruit, and orange are perfect for this and the contrast of flavors is invigorating.
Many of the cocktails below use either a hot pepper or hot sauce for the fiery element, though some are a bit more tame and use black or cayenne pepper as an accent of spice. Other options include pepper-infused spirits likeAsbolud peppar or Tanteo Tequila. It is also very easy to infuse your own like a vodka or a jalapeno tequila. More exotic ingredients, such as wasabi in the Cape Samurai below, are becoming more popular as well and the possibilities are seemingly endless as bartenders continue to explore the spicy side of drinks.
Here are some spicy cocktails with the fire ingredients listed...
BLOODY MARY...cocktail recipe
- 3 oz tomato juice
- 1 1/2 oz vodka
- 1/2 oz lemon juice
- 1 dash of Worcestershire sauce
- celery salt
- ground pepper
- hot pepper sauce to taste
- celery stalk and/or pickle spear for garnish
- lemon and/or lime wedge for garnish
- Build the liquid ingredients in a highball glass over ice cubes.
- Mix well.
- Add the seasonings to taste.
- Garnish with the lemon and/or lime wedge and celery stalk.